Monday, February 5, 2007

You've got campaign mail.

Wichita school board at-large candidate Mary Dean has been campaigning through the cyber space. She's emailing her stance on such things as the minority achievement gap and the district's suspension/expulsion policy.

Dean, a retired Boeing employee, is one of five candidates for the at-large seat. It's the only seat where an incumbent, Kevass Harding, is running for re-election.

That said, she's also running in a race where two candidates, Harding and tax-payer advocate Karl Peterjohn, have much more name recognition than she does.

As for why she is running, here's a taste from her email:
"I believe it is time for the School Board to remember that the Superintendent works for them not the other way around. And, finally the School Board should be reminded that they represent and answer to
the citizens, taxpayers, and students of USD 259."

For the rest of her email, click below.



As you know I am running for the at-large School Board Seat for USD
259. I would appreciate your support in this endeavor to become an
independent voice for our children. I will be a candidate who will
not go along just to get along with the status quo.

REASONS FOR RUNNING FOR THE AT-LARGE SEAT

1. I am running as a candidate for the at-large seat because I am
concerned and care about our children's educational needs not being
met by the district.

2. I am a candidate that really believes that the achievement gap
for minority children should be narrowed.

3. I am a candidate that believes that there should be a "fair"
suspension and expulsion policy for "all" children in the district.

4. I am a candidate who is concerned about the district not making
viable efforts to recruit qualified teachers in this country to teach
our children.

5. I am a candidate who wants the district to have the schools
enforce the dress codes for students.

6. I am a candidate who is concerned about children being labeled
as "SPECIAL NEEDS" who shouldn't be, simply because of behavior
problems. These children may have other factors that go beyond
behavior that should be dealt with in more caring communications.

7. I am a candidate who is concerned about the surge of "gang
recruitment" in the schools.

8. I am concerned that the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND POLICY for District
259, has severely left children who are economically disadvantaged,
children who are from major racial and ethnic groups, and children
who have disabilities (both physical & learning)they have truly been
left behind.

9. I am a candidate that is concerned that USD 259 have students
that are graduating from high school that are not capable of reading,
which in turn will hamper their ability to fill out applications for
employment and this will further discourage them from achieving
marketable skills in order to be a productive citizen in this city.

10. I am a candidate who believes that to stop teacher shortages in
the district, teachers should be paid a decent salary to encourage
them to stay.

WHY I SHOULD BE ELECTED

I am not a seasoned politician and I believe that the citizens and
taxpayers in this city are sick and tried of the same old status quo
and they want the Superintendent and School Board members to be held
accountable for the decisions that they are making which in turn
effect our children.

I believe it is time for the School Board to remember that the
Superintendent works for them not the other way around. And, finally
the School Board should be reminded that they represent and answer to
the citizens, taxpayers, and students of USD 259.

VOTE FOR AN INDEPENDENT VOICE WHO CARES

AND THAT VOICE BELONGS TO MARY DEAN

No comments: